Big ideas in Mathematics 8
- Mathematically, a ratio is simply a comparison of two numbers. When two ratios equal each other, we call it a proportion. Being able to work with proportions has real, everyday uses that we will explore in Math 8.
- Remember when math was all about whole number operations like: "3 x 4 = 12" and "3 x ? = 24"? Good times, right? Well now, we will apply the rules for multiplication and division with whole numbers to help us work with fractions and integers. (Time to dust off your times tables facts!)
- Just like people have many types of relationships with each other, so do numbers! Linear relations can be shown in many ways (in words, graphs, tables, ordered pairs, etc.) to help us better understand the relationship between two variables.
- Time to tap into your 3D brains! 3D objects have area AND volume and we can show this visually (with models, drawings, images, etc.) and mathematically (with equations).
- Communicating information with others can range from sending smoke signals from a desert island to air-dropping a photo-bomb to your best friend. In Mathematics 8, we will learn how to communicate information using data that has been collected and how to show this data visually to share this information with others.